Forum home Tools and techniques

Ego battery powered long-reach hedge trimmer & pole saw vs equivalent in Stihl

Hello, just joined the forum and looking forward to learning from you all :). I have a large garden and I can no longer afford to pay someone to maintain ongoing work, I have decided to invest in the best tools I can afford. As I am 5'5, very slight built and have arthritis, Stihl appears to have the lightest tool but they are very expensive and only have a 2-year warranty. Ego, on the other hand, is much more affordable and they appear to have the option of a battery backpack which they claim will take some of the weight off the pole saws and hedge trimmers. Just wondering if anyone can comment on the weight of either of the tools. While cost is a consideration, weight takes precedence and if there is little difference in either brand, then Ego might be the option as they are a great deal cheaper and offer a 5 year warranty (if I understood the blurp). Looking forward to all your comments and future exchanges. Happy Gardening everyone!

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,311
    @Nollie if he is looking in I think uses Ego garden tools so maybe could answer your questions.
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Ego battery powered tools:

You have certainly solved the world if you have ego-charged batteries.

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,047
    Well remembered @floralies!

Yes, I have the full multi-tool set, chainsaw and (freebie) leaf blower and find them excellent and the best investment I have made, garden-tool wise. Though double-check that Ego are really lighter than Stihl - remember to calculate the weight of the main power unit + attachment + battery for both.

There is a choice of ego batteries and the larger/longer the run time the heavier the battery. The battery life is excellent, doesn’t lose power when not in use like many do and the fast charging dock is just that. If choosing Ego, you may be better with 2x 2AH batteries than one big and heavy one. It’s good to have a spare anyway and as they charge so quickly there are no frustrating interruptions.

The backpack is excellent and does cut fatigue/lighten the load considerably, works really well for the strimmer, brush cutter and pole saw. For me, the hedge trimmer works better with the battery on the main unit rather than the backpack as without it the fairly heavy cutting blade is unbalanced and the cutting end dips down. You have to exert constant opposing pressure to avoid ridges and holes on the top of your hedge!

Do try out both in person, if you can (with batteries attached) as balance is equally as important as weight.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • @Nollie - thank you for your post.  I went ahead and ordered my Multitool kit with 2.0Ah batteries. I couldn't afford the Stihl. In terms of weight, I'm not sure they're that much lighter anyway. Longevity? Perhaps? I tried the EGO long reach hedge trimmer (no extension) with the 5.0 Ah battery and felt it was a little on the heavy side to use for extended periods. I thought of getting a backpack so I could use the heavier batteries but was put off by some of the reviews I came across which claimed the backpacks lost power via the adaptor that came with it. Others said it wasn't that effective or didn't work at all! Your experience was clearly a positive one. Did you use it with the 5.0 or 7.0 Ah battery? It's a good idea though. I'll see how I get on without it. I would prefer not to have to charge the batteries every 20-30 minutes. My LB5800 (leaf blower) could do with a 5.0 battery. I may get the backpack next year when I buy my lawnmower which will have a 7.0 Ah battery, which I could use on the LB. Without the backpack, the LB would be very tiring. I see you are in Catalunya, Spain. Lucky you! You can grow bougainvillaea which I absolutely love but can only grow in a conservatory here!
    I'm in Ireland where keeping my 3/4 acre garden looking well is a challenge with all the rain we get. My lawn is always a nice green though! What's yours? Too much sun? :smile:

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,047
    I have both a 2 and 5ah battery and use the hedge trimmer with both, but find it’s still not the most balanced trimmer, although it’s very personal according to your build. Interesting, I haven’t had any problems with the backpack losing power. I started off with just the multi tool too, then added to it. I don’t use the leaf blower much, but it is incredibly light.

No bourgainvillea here I’m afraid, hot summers but my winters are too cold - I live in an inland, mountainous region that gets a lot of weather from the Pyrenees, but it is a beautiful green part of Spain as a result. I have steep, forested land with rough grass and a semi-tamed garden and veg plot, about 3 acres. The Ego is a godsend!

Good luck with it, hope it works well for you.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Tools arriving today, I hope .... Concerned about weight and balance. I'm 5'3 and weigh 55 Kg. Hope I don't keel over balancing the hedge trimmer and pole saw!
    Thanks for your input Nollie.   
  • I've heard a lot of good about Ego products but I came across this review and don't really know now... kinda confused 
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 21,903
    The main problem with all of these things is the tremendous strain they put on the body. If you aren’t young, fighting fit, and/or used to strenuous physical exercise they are completely exhausting after a few minutes.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • @amandastone.work
    Are you considering these tools? If you need to know more about them, do feel free to ask. I have invested in just about every Ego tool! Long reach hedge trimmer, extended pole saw, chainsaw, strimmer (string and blade) and have just ordered a lawnmower! The tools, I find are on the heavy side, but that is the nature of garden equipment: I don't think manufacturers design them for women! I am a 67-year-old woman, 5'3", 55 kg and have arthritis in my elbow and hands. Weight aside, the tools are really good value for money and work very well. When I use any of the tools, I alternate the tasks to give my elbows, hands and muscles a rest and try to complete the tasks over several days rather than hours. If I attempted to finish anything in one go, I would be crippled! I ordered the equipment towards the end of the summer, so I haven't used them much. I will have a better idea of just how good (or bad) they by the end of summer 2021 and will post a more detailed review then. I will also have a better idea of the effects of the weight of this equipment on my arthritis. Hope this helps!

• mrmhfmrmhf Posts: 37
    We went down the Husqvarna route this year, getting a pole saw and pole hedge trimmer. They use the same battery (we have a 4 amp) and they’re super powerful.

You can see them in action here:

Husqvarna 520iHT4 Battery Pole Hedge Trimmer: https://youtu.be/yMiIpH8nf1E

Husqvarna 115iPT4 Pole Saw Review: https://youtu.be/ZAUSA0_W0c8

Our country living, smallholding and sustainability journey: https://myhomefarm.co.uk