Forum home Plants

Monty sowing scabiosa already?!

sarinkasarinka Posts: 269
Just catching up on last week's Gardeners' World (is there a discussion thread?) and was surprised to see Monty sowing these flowers (my favourites) already. I have bought some already for spring sowing. Is there any advantage to sowing them this early?

And if I do, do I have to keep them in a coldframe with my sweetpeas all winter, or can they take their chances with the cornflowers, foxgloves etc in the ground?

• HelenMFHelenMF Posts: 13
    I sowed some scabiosa seeds a week or so ago and more this morning.  I’m not sure what I’ll do with them for the winter - don’t think I’ll plant out though.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,582
    I would keep them in a coldframe over winter personally, but it does depend on where you are in the country and the conditions in your own garden. 
    Gardeners' World TV programme discussion thread here
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1027469/g-w-coming-on-soon#latest
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,451
    You could sow half now and half in spring, reducing the number of plants you have to cosset through winter, but giving you half a batch that will start flowering a little earlier
  • sarinkasarinka Posts: 269
    Thanks for the replies, all! I think I might do that, @Loxley, if I can figure out what conditions the overwintered ones are supposed to be kept in. :)

Thanks for the GW thread link, @AnniD! I'll have a look.