Forum home Garden design

Front Window Ideas

Hi all

We have a rather sad patch in our front garden by our front window - looking for suggestions on what to do with it. There is a cellar below, with coal shoot next to it, so thinking needs to drain well , dont want to cause damp issues.

Was considering lavendar as a low maintenance option, but any help would be gratefully appreciated. It's an old house, we're generally going with a cottage garden type style.

Cheers

Luke

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,788
    edited August 2020
    Hello Luke, does the area face south and get lots of sunshine? That might dictate what will grow there successfully. Lavender needs those conditions. I'm thinking that if you want to avoid damp/root problems over the cellar, you could think about putting a semi-circle of gravel down and standing pots and/or a bench on it?

Lovely looking house by the way!
  • Thanks Lizzie, We've only recently moved but happy with it

Its North West facing so guess that rules out lavender. I was also thinking of putting gravel down and pots, so just need some low.maintenance options that dont mind shade! 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Hosts, ferns, ajuga, some hardy geraniums, Sarcoccoa evergreen shrub with scented winter flowers, some clematis. Must say your soil looks good. As I hate mowing I would enlarge the border a bit more.
    There is this  website https://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/