Forum home Garden design

The tree is gone, baby...

ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 230
I've been thinking about getting rid of this tree for ages. I finally got someone around to cut it down. A bit of a pity since it was a popular perch for birds (but also the neighborhood cats...). Next task is to cut back the hedge, and work out whether I can put a little gate in the fence so that I can access the back side more easily in the future. And possibly erect some kind of planter on the fence for a temporary screening solution. I have a pot of variegated ivy that might be ideal.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 797
    I see its removal as a positive. It was definitely a case of a plant in the wrong place.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,776
    The tree is gone away.
    You know you did no wrong baby.
    You won't be sorry some day.😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,574
    Best thing for it, looks much better, it’s a wonder it hadn’t had the fence down. 
    I’ve done similar and love it now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,829
    A new planting opportunity.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,006
    Now you have a view of the much more attractive tree in the garden beyond.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,444
    Our predecessors had planted 2, like sentries, half way down the garden and about 15 feet apart.  They were first to go in the initial redesign.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,829
    Just re-read your post and agree a small gate would be ideal, especially if it would make access to the back garden easier.
    I had one put in a run of new fencing last year, specifically for unloading compost to the top of the garden (we live on a hill). OH now calls it the 'compost gate'!
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 230
    Lyn said:
    Best thing for it, looks much better, it’s a wonder it hadn’t had the fence down. 
    I’ve done similar and love it now. 
    Indeed the other shrubs in the hedge have grown massive limbs stretching out behind it and have bent the wire fence down quite a bit. Hopefully it will spring back up again once the big limbs are gone.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343
    Do you back on to a lane or footpath or someone elses garden?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ManderMander GatesheadPosts: 230
    Do you back on to a lane or footpath or someone elses garden?
    It's just an empty field on a fairly steep slope. There has been some rumours that the council is planning to sell it to a developer but the most recent report that I could find says it's not suitable for building. It's been an open field for years, with no way to get access unless you climb the fence at the top of the hill.