Forum home Tools and techniques

Electric Cordless Lawnmowers

Hey guys has anyone on here gone down the cordless lawnmower route. I've been a petrol guy for years now mostly because my mother had a big garden and used to do an elderly lady next door to my mums. My mother passed last year & my lawns are not overly big, dimensions of my lawns below.  My lawnmower is a Mountfield HP185 45cm 125cc Hand-Propelled Rotary Petrol Lawn Mower and weighs 25kg so i'm looking for something lighter but i down want a wired mower, its been too long being cordless to go back. So any reviews on cordless mowers would be great.

Lawn Dimensions

12ft x 12ft
10ft x 25ft
15ft x 30ft

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2020
    I had a Bosch. Cant visulise dimensions of your lawn and I never measured mine but it used to take me 30 mins to mow. It had 2 batteries and a fast charger and when we moved 3 years ago and no longer needed it I gave it to a relative and as far as I know its still going.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 6,462
    A couple of weeks ago the Gadget Show did a comparison of 3 cordless and I'm fairly sure the Bosch came out on top.  The 'judge' was head groundsman at a golf course so should know what they are talking about.  Rating was a combination of battery life, cut quality and noise level, although the noise level on all was pretty low.
    The Bosch came out top on a recent episode of the Gadget Show.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,736
    I have a Bosch Rotak 36 LI. For me it's absolutely perfect. So easy to use for a "more mature" person. Easily adjustable heights for cutting. Obviously starts first time every time and very reasonably priced under £100. Would definitely recommend it. 
  • VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 601
    I went for the Murray IQ18WM37 2 x 18 V (36 V) Lithium-Ion 37 cm Cordless Lawn Mower.  Its Powered by Briggs & Stratton 18V Lithium-Ion Battery System, the reviews seem good and you get a runtime of 32 on one charge. Another good thing is the batteries can be used with there other items, trimmer, leaf blower and hedge cutters so it seems very logical to go with this as i could go and replace my 2 stroke petrol trimmer.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 805
    Fran IOM said:
    I have a Bosch Rotak 36 LI. For me it's absolutely perfect. So easy to use for a "more mature" person. Easily adjustable heights for cutting. Obviously starts first time every time and very reasonably priced under £100. Would definitely recommend it. 
    Is it quite lightweight? Thinking of my mum who needs to replace her very heavy electric one. 
  • LatimerLatimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 766
    I've got a Bosch too. Don't have a large lawn so can usually get 1.5 mows (is that a unit of measurement?) from the battery. I have two batteries as well. Really easy to use!
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,622
    edited August 2020
    In a recent Which review the Bosch Rotak 43 came top with a score of 81%, £645
    2. Ego LM1903E 80% £569
    3. Stihl RMA 338 78% £365
    4. Ego LM 202 77% £679
    5. Wolf Garten 72V 76% £425
    5. Stihl RMA 448 76% £505
    5. Ego LM170 76% £455
    8. Spear and Jackson S2434 74% £300
    8. Stihl RMA 443 74% £502
    10. John Deere R408 73% £529

Not all Bosch lawnmowers fared so well. Sharing 21st place with a score of 65% were Ergoflex £309, City Mower £232, and Advanced Rotak £529
    Interesting to see that the review of the winning Bosch was from Feb 2016 but nothing seems to have improved on it.  I would have thought battery technology improvements alone would have put others above it, but it seems not.
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,736
    @rachelQrtJHBjb  My son bought me the Bosch with my age in mind! To me it is lightweight and easy to get in and out of the shed. (Just like pushing a pram). Had it out this afternoon in the heat and have a large area to mow and the battery has never run out of charge. Just remember to put it on charge when I've finished which is something else which is so easy. I think your Mum would notice the difference once she had tried it out. It's a pleasure to use.