Forum home Garden design

How to tie areas together?

Afternoon all 

Looking for some thoughts on how to bring two distinctively different areas together. Towards the end of the garden I have a large steep sloping area as per picture 1 that heads into woodland. The area on the left (pic2) is very shaded so have planted out taking account of this with ferns, black mondo grass and a few others plus the mature Acers. The area on the right however (picture 3) whilst still very steep and currently just grass obtains a fair bit of sunlight throughout the day until the early evening. I’m going to look to tier the grass area using vertical sleepers (I think) with a path running through the middle but unsure how I would bring the areas together, or if I even need to? Fan of the Oudolf planting style but not sure if would look out of place here? 

Any thoughts on what you would do with a similar area? What planting style you would use? Would you try and tie the areas together ie. perhaps more acers?  

Apologies my pictures always come out sideways! 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,287
    edited August 2020
    Have you got any big pictures of the area ? its difficult to see especially with the pictures on there side  ;) . I like Peit Oudolf planting and plants . 
  • Wrigs21Wrigs21 Posts: 163
    Perki said:
    Have you got any big pictures of the area ? its difficult to see especially with the pictures on there side  ;) . I like Peit Oudolf planting and plants . 
    If someone knows how to sort photos uploading from a phone let me know 😁

If you turn it sideways that’s the sloping garden as you look down. Woodland on left and grass on right 😁
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Would a photo from an upstairs window help us see the whole plot and therefore suggest how to marry the different areas?
    Would a photo from an upstairs window help us see the whole plot and therefore suggest how to marry the different areas?
    That’s more tricky than it sounds as per photo below it ducks off steeply behind the top area I’m afraid 

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    Hello Wrigs, it's still difficult to see but I appreciate your efforts in trying to provide pics. My only suggestion is that you create the path between the two areas and perhaps line the route with something simple like hakonechloa or Amenanthele lessoniana, the latter being evergreen. Both would compliment acers but planted en masse could also look slightly wilder.
    edited April 2021
    Hi guys
    Quick update and after some further thoughts. So have tiered the slope and have planted out a range of perennials and grasses (fingers crossed they grow!). 

Any thoughts on what to do at the bottom? I’m not sure would sit down there often as shady and gets covered in leaves in the autumn. 

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2021
    Not sure about photos loaded from phone but you just have to crop them slightly and they load right way up.
    Photos taken in landscape seem to be ok.
    There is a discussion about it on here.
    Found it https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1051507/sideways-photos/p1
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    It work on a phone too. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    You certainly have worked hard and don't want to criticise but there was a recent post on here about oak sleepers starting to rot within a few years, so I hope you have put plastic between them and the soil.
    Are you going to put stepping stones through the  beds to save trampling on the soil as access doesn't look easy?
    Perhaps the bottom section might lend itself to ferns, is it called a stumpery?
    edited April 2021
    K67 said:
    Not sure about photos loaded from phone but you just have to crop them slightly and they load right way up.
    Photos taken in landscape seem to be ok.
    There is a discussion about it on here.
    Found it https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1051507/sideways-photos/p1
    Thats a bit of a faff but got there! :) 

Thank you, theres another path you can quite see from that angle that cuts through the middle so access shouldnt be too bad. Not going stepping stones as have planted heavily in drifts. Like the idea of the ferns but have one of those with a bed of Ostrich ferns out of shot on the left of the garden which I leave to the woodland!