Forum home Problem solving

Is my heuchera Cherry Cola now 2 plants?

TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
I've managed to keep this one alive for a couple of years (by that I mean free from vine weevil destruction). Has it turned into two plants? I've attached pictures. Best I could get without breaking any stems.

Main plant  

New plant???? 

I've lost three heuchera in the last four years so never got to this stage. Any advice would be appreciated. 😊 

James.

Pic of full thing:

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Yeh - they often spread like that and just create more plants. It's why they're so easy to propagate  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,641
    That looks good James, I love the colour of Cherry Cola - especially during the winter.
    Those two will still be attached together but it would be possible to detach the smaller one with a sharp knife as long as it's got some roots attached. I would wait until September when it will be cooler and wetter, then dig it up carefully and separate them, before replanting. I do find however that it doesn't always work and the off-shoot dies. 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    Thank you! I must say it makes me nervous at the thought of separating them but I may give it a go. If I don't, will they both suffer? 
    Thank you. As @Lizzie27 suggested, I may see how we are in September and give it a go. I need to be braver. :lol: Your suggestion sounds safer for the plant though @philippasmith2 I will give it some thought. 
    They're very easy. You can pull pieces off and root them in small pots. They barely even need soil to grow in, just water. Most of mine have come from being split from larger plants - with a spade, or just pulled apart. 
    I've had one sitting in an empty pot for the last month, being rained on, and ignored, and it actually looks better than it was in the ground it came out of  :D

Fairygirl said:
    They're very easy. You can pull pieces off and root them in small pots. They barely even need soil to grow in, just water. Most of mine have come from being split from larger plants - with a spade, or just pulled apart. 
    I've had one sitting in an empty pot for the last month, being rained on, and ignored, and it actually looks better than it was in the ground it came out of  :D
    Blimey! They are not precious then!!
    I was so excited that I didn't realise there is another little one further around. I may try it with that smaller one and see how I get on. 
    They're very tough.  :)
    If you're worried, just peg the bits down with some wire, and add a bit of compost, as @philippasmith2 describes. A bit like strawberry runners. Keep well watered, and most importantly, keep them in a shady spot. 
    I do that with dianthus as well - easier than cuttings/pipings.  :)

I've got the day off tomorrow so I may attempt to deal with it.  I have a spare trough on my wall that one of the smaller ones could go in.  Just take the whole thing out; clear the soil away and then slice off the little ones?  Put them straight into the new pot and water?
    @Fairygirl I just tried it with the smaller of the two "children".  Not sure if I've done it properly....I've attached some pics:

Sliced this off with a sharp knife

Trimmed off the lower leaves....

Popped it in a pot and watered it (and added some gravel to prevent weevil egg-laying)

Well done  :)
    I'd take the three  the big leaves off too. It might have been better to leave a bit more root on it, but keep it well watered, in the shade, and it should be ok.