Forum home Wildlife gardening

Crabapple Hedge Pruning How-To?

I want to plant a crabapple hedge near my veg plot between Nov and Feb for the benefit of early insects and winter birds. I'm including native plants and ornamental varieties. When and how should I prune it if I want both flowers and fruit? Any advice would be gratefully received. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,143
    Not sure how well you'd keep crabapples as a hedge if you want flowers and fruit, but someone else might have advice.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • elcolelcol Posts: 4
    Hmm, thanks. I hope so🤞.  Seems potentially tricky. It doesn't need to be a really manicured hedge but could do with remaining within about 18 inches thick. Perhaps I could prune 50% of the growth each year? 
  • Maybe you could train them in the same way as step over apples But to the height you want? Basically small espaliers
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham
  • elcolelcol Posts: 4
    That's an interesting idea, especially in terms of keeping the hedge relatively narrow too, thank you. I guess I'd need to buy maiden sized plants in order to do that.