Forum home Plants

Fuchsia succumbing to drought

B3B3 Posts: 21,451
I have an overgrown fuchsia. It's pale pink and I think it's a magellanica.
It was on the hit list so was a bit neglected. I was dithering over whether to cut it right back or dig it out completely, having taken a few cuttings.
If I cut it down to sticks and keep it watered, is it likely to survive or should I take the opportunity to do for it now?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    Had another look. The ground was carpeted with dead leaves so taken water and compost cuttings, cut it down to sticks and given it 3 canfuls of water ( why didn't you do that before? It said)
    It's up to him now whether he lives to see his grandchildren or not.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,238
    edited August 2020
    It's hard to kill hardy fuchsias! I thought I'd dug up all of mine, but no, one shoot has re-emerged - right in the middle of new planting.

Actually, I'd swap my bright pink/red number for your pale pink one! 
    We'll  see. If it behaves, it can stay.
    It was  lying and sprawling over a bed that's  about five for six foot deep.  Oh the perennials!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,079
    You can prune it down hard every spring if you like. You might not get flowers this year pruning so late, but needs must sometimes.
    Well, I  pruned it a couple  of hours ago. We'll see. If it wants to live, I'll  try to accommodate it. There's a very large  rosemary  taking up a similar  amount  of space. I have the replacement ready and to be honest dried rosemary is less faff unless you're having a barbecue 
    I think I'll  change my tag line thingy to:
    Keen, but lazy but too lenient