Forum home The potting shed

PLANTS

VivaSusanaVivaSusana Alresford, HampshirePosts: 4

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,440
    No idea but you could add  a please
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,475
    Acanthus mollis?
    Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • VivaSusanaVivaSusana Alresford, HampshirePosts: 4
    Thank you very much for your reply Punkdoc, although I don't think it's an "acanthus mollis", the leaves are quite different. Will keep trying, perhaps it'll be easier when it flowers. Thanks again. 

And K67, I am ever so terribly sorry that I didn't include "please" at the end of my message. It was definitely not my intention to upset anyone. My "bad manners" were just a case of not knowing how this forum works, as I'm new to it. I've just registered and this was my first post ever. I was quite excited and pleased to have found such a fantastic website, but just followed what I took as an instruction to place a post. Now I understand that it was just an example to give us some guidance. I'll try my best to learn and to get better at it. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,440
    😊🤗
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,537
    It may be Malva verticillata...the flowers will confirm it. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,809
    Hi @VivaSusana and welcome aboard 😎 

It certainly looks like one of the Malva family to me ... possibly Malva sylvestris? 
    Let us see when it flowers and we should be able to give a firmer ID 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hollyhock?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    Welcome to the forum :). I don't think it's acanthus either, but it does look vaguely familiar.  Could it be the old-fashioned green-leaved Heuchera? Not seen very often these days, although the coloured leaved forms are very popular. Has it had any flowers?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,852
    Looks like a malva to me too.  We have the sylvestris tuff weeding about all over the place and it's great for pollinators in the bits we leave wild but not so much in a flower border.   If you don't like it at least it's easier to get rid of than the acanthus would be tho I'd expect acanthus leaves to be bigger by this time of year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • VivaSusanaVivaSusana Alresford, HampshirePosts: 4

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After looking all of them up quite thoroughly, I now believe this might be a malva, either sylvestris or verticillata, but will have to wait until it flowers to be able to confirm our suspicions. Will keep you posted.  :)