Forum home Plants

Which of these would be good for container

IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 751
i was thinking of a red cordyline in the centre, surrounded by a couple of young fuchsia plants?

or fuchsia with hot lips salvia?

or lavender with hot lips?

the container is about 12cm depth? Square medium size.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,630
    Most of the plants you list will not do well at 12cm depth. Do you mean 12 inches?
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 751
    It’s actually 17cm depth and just over 30cm wide square shape. Not very deep still. Should I just plant strawberries in these then? Or strawberries and fuchsia mix for some colour now?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,079
    Very shallow for growing anything much apart from alpines, or similar.
    You'd get away with the strawberries - a couple would be ok.
    None of those other plants would thrive in a small shallow container for very long, unless they're just young plants for growing on. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,053
    A fuchsia bred for hanging baskets might do OK for a single season (ie treating it as a bedding plant) but not in the longer term. Small annual bedding plants would be OK if you can keep up the watering.  If the drainage is good and you have a sunny place for it, sempervivums and similar small succulents would be fine with that depth (or even less) and you could put in several. They don't need as much watering as most other things would need in a shallow container.
    This is what the planter looks like at the moment. I was going to plant up two different mint plants in the lower two sections. In the top section I was thinking about the colour. Maybe geranium and strawberries then? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,314
    Fill the top with tumbling ivy leaved pelargoniums ... you'll have to put them somewhere sheltered for the winter, but it'll look fabulous in the summer ... just like the windowboxes of Swiss chalets in the mountains. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I don’t have ivy leafed pelargoniums, just standard pelargoniums so I might get some in there but I have some young fuchsia that could grow on a bit in there in the meantime. It’s going to be the project for the weekend. 

I could get a lavender in there?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,053

I could get a lavender in there?
    Not as a permanent planting. You could treat a small young one as bedding and move it into the ground (or a deeper pot) in a couple of months. One tip would be that you need to have some depth below the depth of the pot that the plant is bought in, so that the roots can grow down as well as out.
    It's probably too late for this year but if you want lots of colour in there next year it might be best just to go with summer bedding and basically treat it like a hanging basket (it's about the size of a typical hanging basket and there's room for things to trail).

No point getting a lavender in there. I’ll see what plants I have for it to work. Thanks for the ideas all.