Forum home Plants

Clematis and tulip / seeds question

karenktekarenkte Posts: 25
Hello - I have 3 questions that I need help with.

Question One
Can anyone identify the clematis below?  It has almost finished flowering now so I am wondering is it the type 1 or 2 clematis rather than 3.   If it is 1 or 2 what do I do about cutting it back so that it will grow well next year.

Second question
When is the best time to buy and then plant tulip bulbs and irises

Third question
Can I plant cosmos seeds ready for next year, late this year.  If so when or would it be better to wait until Spring.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,064
    It could be one of many purple clematis so try searching on this site till you find the closest match - http://clematisontheweb.org/new-clemlistsearch.cfm

That said, I don't think it matters much as long as you get the feeding and watering right.  If you give it a feed now and some generous watering it may well carry on flowering a while.    Clematis are hungry, thirsty plants so you need to give them a huge dollop of slow release fertiliser in spring - clematis, rose or tomato to encourage healthy growth and flowering and then make sure it never gets thirsty in the growing season.

Group 2s flower in May and June and then, if well fed and watered, produce a second flush in August/September so I expect yours is a hungry and/or thirsty group 3.   In any case, group 2s can be treated as group 3s and pruned back hard in spring then fed, watered and mulched and the new growth trained in.

Tulip bubs are best planted in November to avoid tulip blight but buy the bulbs as soon as they're available so you get the ones you want and keep them in a cool dark place till planting time.    Dutch iris bulbs can be planted as soon as you but them so they don't dehydrate.  Bearded irises grow from rhizomes and can be planted any time if they come in pots or immediately if bought bare root in spring.

Cosmos are not that hardy so sow in spring and keep protected till the frosts are over or they will also grow quickly from direct sowing after the frosts.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw