Forum home Plants

Black Elder 'Black Beauty'

Hi everyone, just joined and first post  :)

I have a Black Elder that I planted at the beginning of lockdown.  It didn't do a lot through the long, hot spell we had, but didn't die either - I'm a very amateur gardener, don't really know an awful lot, but have gotten by!  Anyway, over the last few weeks, this little shrub has exploded into life!  Just wondering whether it would be ok to give it a light pruning now, as it seems to be getting quite leggy, or should I wait 'til the Autumn..? 🤔  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,830
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Elders are tough as old boots, even the fancy ones.
    You can give it a trim if you wish, but the leggy growth will likely toughen up by itself over the summer.
    Bear in mind that flowers and berries are produced on previous years growth, so if you cut it back too hard, you'll get neither the following year. They take a year or two to get settled but are lovely shrubs.
    I usually prune mine in early spring, but often hack it back any time of the year as it's a mature shrub now.
    Once it's settled in new shoots will appear from the ground and when this happens you can start to cut out some (about 1/3) of the older stems each year at ground level to keep it fresh and bushy.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you for the welcome and your advice Pete, very helpful  :)