Forum home Problem solving

Rose blight?

Why have my rose bushes developed brown spots on leaves and what can I do?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    Hi @karenillingsworth and welcome to the forum 😊 

can we see some photos of your roses so we can have a go at helping. It might be Blackspot ... but there are other possibilities too so if we can see them it’ll help us to help you 😊 

Click on the  little landscape icon and follow instructions. If pics don’t upload reducing the size usually works. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    edited 2 August
    Lovely clear pic ... thanks 😊 
    Looks like blackspot to me. It’s a fungal infection which keeps mutating so chemical products often don’t work even if you choose to go down that route.  
    The non-chemical control is to pick off the worst of the damaged leaves and gather  any fallen ones and either burn them or bag and bin. Do not compost them.  Mulching in spring also helps control any spores that may have overwintered on the ground. 
    Some varieties of rose are much more susceptible than others .., you may chose to do what a lot of folk do and replace your worst  affected roses with a resistant variety. 
    Good rose growers Like Classic Roses and David Austin (there are others but these are the ones I use and can recommend)  will state this on their websites. 
    Hope that helps 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,527
    I agree and am of the opinion that replacement with a resistant variety is the wiser choice if you have a persistent problem with particular roses in your garden while others are fine.  The problem with using fungicidal sprays is that they also kill beneficial fungi in the soil below, making it less fertile and so compounding the problem by causing weaker growth in the rose growing above.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you I will take off the worst affected leaves xx