Forum home Plants

Using fabric pots

KmehKmeh Posts: 80
I would like to use my big pots more productively by rotating flowering plants around throughout.  However most plastic pots never seem to fit, unless I go for significantly smaller pots. 

I had a thought that fabric pots, like these might be the way to go:

https://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/products/air-pruner-fabric-pots

Slightly more malleable than plastic pots so easy to get a good size fabric pot within a terracotta or wood planter. 

Wasnt sure if some plants would take well to a fabric pot and also whether they couldnt handle the 'squeezing' the fabric into the smarter pots. Thinking about rotating:

Camellia and azaleas, tulips and daffs, peony, roses, hydrageas. Any thoughts on whether these plants would be ok in these fabric pots?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,183
    The problem I have with those pots is they are still made out of polypropylene but because they are felt-like they are leeching plastic fibres and presumably are less easy to recycle than solid plastic pots (not that the UK is any good at recycling them either). What is the point of replacing plastic with plastic, from an environmental impact point of view?
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,135
    Even the biggest one is not big enough to successfully grow Camelia, Hydrangea, Azalea or Peony, they won’t take kindly to being lifted out and replanted every year. ok for bulbs though, you can just pull out the whole thing and reuse the pot in the Spring for something else. Although I just lift out the whole lot of bulbs and store them in an old compost bag until they die down.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    Think they’re becoming the ‘pot of choice’ for cannabis farming ... not so obvious when they’re moving equipment into the chosen flat/industrial unit etc. as they’re ‘flatpack’. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 574
    Think they’re becoming the ‘pot of choice’ for cannabis farming ... not so obvious when they’re moving equipment into the chosen flat/industrial unit etc. as they’re ‘flatpack’. 
    Oops, I've just ordered 6 canvas planter bag thingies, what will the neighbours think!!
  • KmehKmeh Posts: 80
    Ha ha @Dovefromabove well cannabis is not quite the plant type I was considering- but interesting information nonetheless!

@lyn - I'm growing hydrageas (sunday fraise), camellia and azaleas (mary Helen and giesha) all in pots at the moment. Admittedly they are all in the 35 -45 cm height size. Is this too small for these plants? Also would keep them in their fabric pots all year round. So no transplanting just in and out of the larger decorative pot. 
  • KmehKmeh Posts: 80
    Also a peony too in a pot.