Forum home Problem solving

clematis regina looking dead!

Hi
i was wondering if anyone on here could help. i have a clematis regina which was bought earlier this year as an established plant. It is looking very unhappy and dead in places. The steams look very brown and dry.
It is planted in a newly built raised bed which is made up of soil from the site, bottom half)and compost in the top half

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,039
    Thirst is a huge problem with clematis especially when newly planted or in hot dry spells so give it water daily and by the bucket load, not dribbles.   It should recover if you do this daily for at least a week and then every other day until the autumn rains set in.

You could try snipping the dead brown stems at the base and pulling them out so it looks less unsightly but make sure it's had a good drink first and time to soak it up so you minimise damage to green stems.

Next spring, I would cut it back hard like a group 3 clematis and then give it a huge dollop of slow release feed especially for clematis and some doses of liquid tomato feed until the end of June.  Water regularly because a raised bed is dryer than normal soil level and it will take a year or two or even three for it to get its roots down deep enough.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,494
    It needs 'untrussed' from all that string/wire too.
    It would have benefited from being cut right back when planted. It's very near the fence, where it's drier, so you need to compensate for that too with even more watering, especially as there's a lot of other planting right next to it, and it's in a raised bed.

As @Obelixx says  - treat it like a Group 3 next spring, and tie in the new growth in a better, spreading shape. You'll need soft string for that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I guess I know what I need to do! The drenching will start today!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,039
    Good luck with it.  Let us know how you get on.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw