Forum home Fruit & veg

Wilting Plum Tree

Hi, could anyone let me know what has happened to my plum tree, it is about 20 years old, last year the branches had a fungus on them, I cut and burnt them, this year a couple of weeks ago the leaves started dying and the fruit started drying out. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,266
    Maybe some sort of crown rot?  Or another fungal disease in the soil?  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    Does the tree receive regular watering as well as rainfall? I am seeing quite a few trees suffering from the cumulative effects of long dry spells over the past few years. We had a very dry spring and although we’ve had rain since, in some places the soil is very dry a couple of feet below the surface. It takes a lot of moisture to produce fruit. 
    I would ensure there is a a circle of bare soil (diameter 1 metre) to avoid competition for moisture with grass etc. I would then give the tree two buckets full of water every other day (even if it rains) from now until mid September. Pour it on gently so that it penetrates rather than run off the surface. An organic mulch will help the soil to retain moisture and improve the soil around the roots. 
    In March feed with a general slow acting fertiliser such as Fish, Blood & Bone, and resume the watering. 

I’m interested in the fungus ... what did it look like? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for your prompt reply it is really appreciated, you may well be right regarding watering, I have never had to water the tree maybe because there is a small stream about 2 metres from it, but on reflection we have had very dry periods and the stream has been non existant for long periods and combined with low rainfall makes me think this could be the problem, I will water with 2 buckets every other day and provide feedback as to the results.
    Thank you.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    Let us know how it goes next year  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks I will let you know.
    The best way I could describe the fungus is it was similar to mildrew that I used get on the roses many years ago, strangely I have blackspot on the roses about 3 metres away which I have never had before.
  • Regarding the crown rot what should I be looking for to check if that is a problem?
    Thank you.