Forum home Problem solving

Soil contamination

If oil is poured onto soil, will it kill the plants growing there?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,190
    Please don't poison the ground, whatever you pour will make it all the way down and contaminate the water table...
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • dave_willbdave_willb Posts: 2
    I haven't poured anything onto the soil. I believe a neighbour has done so in my front garden where Hydrangeas have been growin for ove 50 years and now parts are beginning to die.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,283
    If oil is poured onto soil, will it kill the plants growing there?

Yes ... now and in the future ... and it’ll kill off all the invertebrates and the  beneficial micro-organisms in the soil that make your gardens an amazing ecosystem. 
    The Torrey Canyon in miniature. 😭 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,462
    I think it's illegal to dispose of oil in this way so if your neighbour has done this then I should ask for advice from your local environmental health dept. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • PyraPyra Central Scotland Posts: 132
    If you're concerned you can get the soil tested. The chemicals will show up. As others have said, as the council for advice. 
    Have you seen any evidence of the oil e.g. black sticky residue or anything like that? 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,831
    I imagine if you poured enough water onto the area if oil was present you'd see the rainbow effect you get when oil meets water.
    Despicable if your neighbour has done that and certainly ilegal
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.