Forum home Fruit & veg

butternut squash in container

I've been growing a butternut squash plant in a 50l pot. I water it regularly and  I can see a couple of squashes begin to grow but I'm worried about the leaves. What's wrong with the leaves?

• pinutpinut Posts: 21
    The brown outer edges on the leaf signifies that the plant is reacting to drought conditions.

The yellowing is most probably caused by nutrient wash out - feed the plant regularly with a tomato-type liquid feed.

If the yellowing persists and spreads to other leaves then it is probably a magnesium deficiency - in this case, add 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) to a watering can and use that in your watering routine once a week until the green colour comes back.

For cucurbits grown in containers, it is very important to keep the compost constantly moist - do not allow it to dry out, especially when the plant is flowering and/or carrying fruit. The plant may abort the fruit if conditions become too dry.

• pinut said:
    The brown outer edges on the leaf signifies that the plant is reacting to drought conditions.

The yellowing is most probably caused by nutrient wash out - feed the plant regularly with a tomato-type liquid feed.

If the yellowing persists and spreads to other leaves then it is probably a magnesium deficiency - in this case, add 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) to a watering can and use that in your watering routine once a week until the green colour comes back.

For cucurbits grown in containers, it is very important to keep the compost constantly moist - do not allow it to dry out, especially when the plant is flowering and/or carrying fruit. The plant may abort the fruit if conditions become too dry.

That’s great, thanks. How many times a week should I feed it as it has flowers and small fruit?
  • pinutpinut Posts: 21
    Follow the instructions on the bottle regarding frequency and dosage but, in general, I would say at least once a week.

If you want optimum results then feed every 3 days at a third to half strength.

• Great, thanks again. Roll on Autumn.🤞