Forum home The potting shed

Food standards ... what we need to know

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,296

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,853
    Excellent article Dove but then preaching to the converted, time to sign a petition and continue to buy British!
    Haven't been anywhere for over four months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,835
    edited 1 August
    That is frightening!
    Petition signed
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 567
    Thanks Dove ....  petition signed.

Interesting article .... just glad I don't eat any meat or diary ... from any country.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,916
    Sorry, didn’t look at the link. I can imagine there will be photos of dead animals or worse live animals and they will make me want to throw up.

Vegetarian going on vegan and happy and as healthy as unconnected illness will allow.

Oatly milk is one to watch if anybody buys shares. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oat-milk-company-oatly-draws-investment-from-blackstone-led-group-including-oprah-11594701001

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,950
    Signed!
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,462
    I've signed, so has Hubby.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 377
    Sorry but this is yet another scare mongering article. I stopped reading after that "chlorine washed chicken" nonsense. People are obsessed with that because the "USA will buy the NHS", anti-trade deals, pro-EU blob has stirred up outrage again.

Chlorine washing is designed to kill dangerous bacteria that exists in ALL chicken. Why do you think you must cook chicken fully, yet can eat other poultry medium cooked?

The EU allow lactic acid wash to achieve the same goal. Any complaints? Quick, sign a petition to leave the EU and don't trade with them!

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32013R0101

As with everything, we live in a capitalist market society. If you don't want to eat a specific category of produce from any trade nation, don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, the free market will ensure the product doesn't survive. That's why we're not all still wearing global hypercolour t-shirts from the 80s.

That's also why you can still buy battery hen eggs for example, because there's a market for them. 

The EU allows genetically modified crops, and the UK imports them for foodstuffs, and all the noise about that from 10+ years ago has died away as people realize everything we eat, from cereal crops to livestock, has all been genetically modified by humans for millennia. But because "science" was involved to help the process along for the last couple of decades, here be dragons. Better sign that "no trade with EU" petition again, they allow GMO.

These petitions are fundamentally pointless and based on misinformation. I'm convinced that a fair number of them are orchestrated by the anti-brexit lot who want to find ways to tie the government in knots over trade deals, just so they can say "told you so".

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Capitalist markets are great like that.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,068
    edited 1 August
    I agree @herbaceous.   Round here supermarkets actively promote locally sourced foods which supports local growers.   I only ever buy free range chicken and organic eggs and well brought up pork because the life of the critter is important.  

I can't cope with chlorine in a swimming pool and certainly don't want it on my chicken.

Clearly, food production is big business but it needs to be ethical.  I won't be biuying an electric car as long as there's child slave labour in the mines for the minerals for the batteries nor anything made in China as long as they are oppressing and suppressing people and ideas nor clothes made in Asian sweat shops.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 377
    @herbaceous @Obelixx I agree with you both. Your point about affordable eggs is exactly what I'm talking about - capitalist markets give us all the choice.

I personally won't buy hormone-fed beef, but I support other people's right to choose it for themselves. 

My issue is with the people setting up these petitions and using misleading, out of context info are trying to take that choice away from all of us for their own reasons.

I don't see any balanced, nuanced discussion comparing for example EU acid-washed beef...