Forum home Problem solving

Why won't my camomile flower?

davidhuntdavidhunt Posts: 7
edited 1 August in Problem solving
My camomile is spreading nicely -- the photos taken today are grown from two small originals planted last summer. But I am wondering why it has not flowered at all. Any theories?

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,139
    You can get non flowering varieties
  • davidhuntdavidhunt Posts: 7
    Thanks @K67, that certainly could be one explanation.  :D I was sure the label was for the usual Chamaemelum nobilebut I suppose it could have been mislabelled. How can I determine if I've got a non-flowering variety? (Aside from it never producing any flowers.)  ;)
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,853
    Chamomile is less likely to flower if it is treated too well, prospers in poorer, very well drained soil so it may just be too happy!   :) 
    Haven't been anywhere for over four months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
    edited 1 August
    You could be onto something there, @herbaceous. The garden was started from scratch last year, beginning with adding two inches of manure all over, into which the chamomile and others were planted. So might just need to wait a while for those lovely white chamomile flower to appear!
    edited 1 August
    Alternatively, as K67 says, you may have Chamaemelum nobile 'Treneague' which is the evergreen lawn variety and tends to form mats of foliage but no flowers.  It isn't easy to tell them apart  :) Part of the fun of gardening!
    I guess time will tell, one way or the other! I'll just have to not feed it for the next couple of years and see what happens.
    It looks like the solution was to post about it on here.  :D A chamomile flower has appeared! 
    Lovely, so pleased for you  :)  "All good things come to those who wait"