Forum home Plants

Troubled-looking Rhododendron Blue Silver - advice needed!

Hi there, I hope you can help!
We have a (Dwarf) Rhododendron Blue Silver. It's in a pot, in ericacious soil. We've had it about 3 years and it's always seemed fine, looking lovely when in flower.
Over the last year, though, it's started ailing. We thought it might be too much harsh sun and wind, so moved it to a more sheltered position. At first we thought this might be helping, but it's now clearly distressed. We scratched the wood with a fingernail at the base and it's green underneath - so although buds and leave look like they've died/are dying, I'm not sure the plant is completely dead. 
Is there anything we can do to save it - e.g. cutting back very hard almost to base? Should we repot with fresh soil/compost? 
Any tips very much appreciated!  :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,493
    In a pot, and in the sun. Two things rhodos hate.  :/
    I doubt that's recoverable, but you could cut it back and get it into a pot of decent soil and compost, and keep it in the shade. Water well, and don't let it get dried out.

Anything kept in a pot needs the top layer of soil freshened every year, and compost alone is no use- needs to be a soil based medium. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,730
    check the roots for vine weevil
    Devon.
  • Many thanks, Fairygirl and Hostafan1! Much appreciated  :) 
    We'll do all of those things, thank you. Think the sun might be a strong factor, as our other dwarf rhodo is in a pot too and very happy. Fingers crossed! Thanks again  :)