Forum home Problem solving

Please help with invasive weed

Hi we recently moved into a house with a very nice established garden but neither my partner and I are experienced gardeners

there is a very invasive plant in our garden spreading rapidly down one side. It grows kind of like bind weed but we can’t identify it

We would really appreciate it if someone could identify it (we’ve tried various apps and they haven’t helped) and/or give us advice on how to get rid of it please

• B3B3 Posts: 13,729
    It looks like jasminium beesianum. Does it have little reddish flowers?
    If that's what it is, i would trace the stems back to source, pull it out by the roots if you can. If, not, cut it to ground level and pinch off any shoots as they appear. It gives up reasonably quickly.
    If it's wound around your plants, its easier to remove when it's dried up and dead.

If it's not that, the berries look like solanum and I'd do the same thing.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,294
    I think that could be Jasminum beesianum ... a pretty scented climber but if can be invasive and yours had obviously got its roots down under that concrete. 

I don’t like recommending the use of glyphosate weedkillers if there’s another solution but I think in this case I’d spray the whole plant with Roundup or a similar glyphosate based herbicide ... then leave it for three weeks ... in that time the chemicals should have had time to pass back to the roots and killed the whole plant. After 3 weeks, if the plant is brown you can pull it up. If it’s still green treat again. 

Don’t be tempted to cut it back before spraying ... the weedkiller only works if there’s plenty of foliage to absorb it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,258
    Hallo Tom, welcome to the forum and the joyful world of gardening.  Warning - it can be highly addictive.