Forum home Problem solving

Kilmarnock willow

I planted my tree about 13 yrs ago, all has been well, left dead branches underneath for birds nests so mine is fuller than all pictures I’ve seen. Now this yr the top healthy portion is no longer healthy, the leaves are turning brown and whole branches are dead. 
What’s wrong with my beautiful tree?😢 I know it’s been hot here lately but always is this time of year. What can I do?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,039
    Not a lot, unless it's just thirsty in which case copious watering every day for a couple of weeks and then every other day unless you have massive downpours.

They are grafted onto a standard stem of another willow and are prone to be short lived and die suddenly.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 486
    We had one grown from a cutting. It did really well for perhaps 20 years and then died despite never being neglected. Perhaps they have a built in use by date? I wouldn't give up, try watering it really well as @Obelixx suggests, but sadly it might not have the desired effect. Is there a bit of healthy material? You could keep it going by taking some cuttings. We used to grow cuttings both in water and in the ground.