Forum home Problem solving

growing CYCLAMEN INTAMINATUM from seed

Hi all, has anyone ever grown cyclamen intaminatum from seed before? The guidelines say that it is best to grow in darkness, with a temperature of between 10-15 degrees. I'm currently growing them in a cardboard box in my cupboard but am not sure this is the best way! Also, how do you prevent the soil from becoming mouldy after a while, or is this not something I need to worry about?

• I have grown other species of cyclamen from seed, I kept them outdoors in the dark until they germinated. You should not have a problem with mould.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,455
    You can't grow any plant in the dark except mushrooms. As soon as they germinate they need light. Make sure you check regularly. Any cyclamen I would sow on the surface of a gritty compost, cover very lightly with grit. keep damp and wait.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I have grown other species of cyclamen from seed, I kept them outdoors in the dark until they germinated. You should not have a problem with mould.

How do you keep them outdoors in the dark? or is that a silly question
  • The pot was covered with opaque material.