Forum home Plants

Veg identification please

gill.betongill.beton Posts: 2
edited 31 July in Plants
Can someone please help me identify the attached veg. I thought I had planted courgette seeds but this is much more like a pumpkin / squash with long trailing stems and curly tendrils. I have googled but cannot find pictures of a courgette / squash that look like this. Should I be harvesting or leaving to harden? Thanks

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,454
    Can you post a photo using the mountain and sun icon?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,253
    edited 31 July
    Did you sow bought seeds, or had you saved them from a previous crop?  They don't usually come true.  The ones you buy have been produced under carefully controlled conditions to make sure they don't get pollinated by something different which gives a different mix of genes.

And it doesn't always work.  This year some rogue seeds have got into circulation, and people have found their courgettes, though they look normal, taste vile and some are poisonous.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,454
    It looks more like an ornamental gourd.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • gill.betongill.beton Posts: 2
    @josusa47 They were free seeds from a gardening magazine. They were labelled as standard green courgettes but definitely not what I have got
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 101
    Looks like Winter melon?