Forum home Plants

Help Identifying Plant Please

Hi, does anyone know what this is in photo with the berries? Advice on when and how to take cuttings - can they be done now and replanted outside immediately?

Also  -  advice on any fast easy growing flowering ground cover, which grows to a couple of feet high and comes back year after year and can rapidly fill spaces (low maintenance) and survive harsh winters! (clay soil). 

Thanks

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,650
    Some kind of Hypericum.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • @Papi Jo - thank you
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 301
    Lovely, cut to the ground in late winter and new shoots will appear.
  • @Loraine3. Thanks. Can I take cuttings now and plant immediately elsewhere?
  • ErgatesErgates DevonPosts: 31
    Have a look around the garden and see if you already got some little plants coming up! They spread all over the place, birds eating the seeds perhaps? I’m afraid I pull them out whenever I see them, they seem to be coming up everywhere.
    I have a different sort of hypericum bush which I find more attractive, and annoyingly, it doesn’t seem to spread at all.
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,270
    There are all sorts of hypericum.  I had a lovely tame one in a past garden: only about waist high; smaller delicate flowers with very prominent stamens (think they're called?); a nice clear, fresh yellow - not brassy and the seed pods were lovely - being shiny and deep red.  Maybe it's nostalgia makes me remember it so kindly?

Here's the one I inherited in my current garden, I cut it hard back to refresh it about 5 years ago and have been waiting for flowering to be over before giving it another trim - mainly practical as I can't reach the hedge behind it and need to get in and remove some brambles (you can see one making a break for it!).  The chair is for scale.

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 301
    As @Ergates suggests, you probably have lots of seedlings around, I have never tried cuttings as always find seedlings.
  • Thank you @Loraine3 @Ergates and @Cloggie. It just seemed to appear! Obviously we hadn't noticed it before. We are novice gardeners and need lots of fast growing ground cover, preferably with a bit of height and colour (and looks after itself!). Lots of spaces in beds to fill quickly. Clueless about cuttings and the when and how to do things too! Thanks all. 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,984
    In favourable conditions, they will seed around. I think it is Hypericum Androsaemum, and you can take semi-ripe cuttings at this time of year, but not sure they will root directly into your soil, but you could try. Best put them into a small pot with compost filled up and insert them around the edges. Keep watered and once you see roots at the bottom, you can re-pot into larger pots for individual plants. By next year late spring, they will be ready to be planted out.
  • @Borderline - thank you for the advice