Forum home Problem solving

Jade Dying Back

I have a jade plant that started dying back and dropping leaves. I caught my cat pawing at it one day, then it's been going downhill over the course of a few months. Lighting is a little lower than it probably should be. I've started opening the blinds more during the day. I water once every couple weeks. How can I save it?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,550
    *Bump*
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,648
    AnniD said:
    *Bump*
    Why bump?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,060
    Papi Jo said:
    AnniD said:
    *Bump*
    Why bump?
    Brings the question back to the top!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 574
    As a safety net, they are incredibly easy to propagate, just pic a leaf and put it on top of some gritty soil and it will start to put roots down. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,550
    @Papi Jo, as @madpenguin says, as in "Bump up" (but l'm too lazy to type the whole thing 😁).
    I would advise, but my knowledge of indoor plants isn't great.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,116
    Dropping leaves at this time of year is perfectly normal. They drop loads of leaves as they grow so get used to picking them up. :)  Otherwise it looks fine. Don't overwater and make sure it gets lots of light but not too much sun.
  • Dropping leaves at this time of year is perfectly normal. They drop loads of leaves as they grow so get used to picking them up. :)  Otherwise it looks fine. Don't overwater and make sure it gets lots of light but not too much sun.
    Would you say it is also normal for the stems to die?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,116
    Lower stems do die off as they grow but it's hard to say if it's normal or not. It looks like yours is the 'Hobbit' style cultivar or similar and they're more prone to problems due to the genetic deformity that gives the leaves their odd shape.
    Do you feed it at all? They do a lot better with regular feeding during the growing season.