Forum home Plants

Clematis

Kat1989Kat1989 OxfordshirePosts: 51
Hi, any recommendations on a clematis I can grow up an old conifer tree. Got a big ugly trunk to disguise. Gets a reasonable amount of sun at least 6 hours 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Montanas will grow up anything, but you'll need to plant it well enough away to get it established. There will be lots of competition for moisture and nutrients. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Kat1989Kat1989 OxfordshirePosts: 51
    Would it be better to wait until spring to plant?
    No. A pot grown plant can be put in at any time apart from during freezing conditions. This is a good time of year, as long as you can prep the ground well and keep it really well watered until winter. 
    Get a decent sized plant though  - not these tiny ones you get in supermarkets. They would need growing on before planting out.
    You'll still need to be patient, as it can take several years for them to establish and grow well.  :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,804
    I'd get rid of the conifer, improve the soil which will have been robbed of all nutrients and moisture and then plant something interesting in autumn.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    @Obelixx and @Fairygirl thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try planting one!
    I would love to get rid of the conifer but there's always so many birds that it attracts and butterflies in summer also its a slight bit of privacy from the houses behind. 
    My conifer is very useful too, as cover for all the birds while they visit the feeders @Kat1989 . I regularly remove the lower branches, which helps with more light, but it doesn't cause any problem here. Mine  actually has three trunks right next to one another.
    Funnily enough, I've been considering a montana for it too. Plenty of little bits I can plant it and train it up. We have no problem with watering here - that's the main thing you need to keep on top of if you don't have enough rainfall that penetrates the canopy, especially for the first couple of years until the roots get well enough down.  :)

@Fairygirl also I've just been told viticella types are great for growing through trees. Worth a look.