Forum home Plants

can I add bark mulch to flower bed

Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
Hi folks I have planted a new flower bed a few weeks ago with 3 shrubs and loads of plants,I was thinking about layering decorative bark over the beds,but wondered is that advisable with new plants,as it occured to me that the bark might soak up all the rain when the new growing plants need it sooner to grow

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Either wait until you've had some substantial rain to apply it, or water it thoroughly and then add the bark, which will help to conserve the moisture.  :)
    It will depend on your general climate where you are too. Here, I can put bark on at any time as the rain is hefty, and regular enough, to get through any mulch to the soil below. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    edited July 2020
    Fairygirl said:
    Either wait until you've had some substantial rain to apply it, or water it thoroughly and then add the bark, which will help to conserve the moisture.  :)
    It will depend on your general climate where you are too. Here, I can put bark on at any time as the rain is hefty, and regular enough, to get through any mulch to the soil below. 

Hi thanks,I just happened to be cycling past Lidl and noticed a huge pallet full of bark bags and I missed the last lot a few weeks ago,so I was tempted.I think I will go down and get some then as it's bound to get cleared tomorrow
    It's £1.99 a bag there so about half the price of other places
    Can't go wrong with it  :)

• sarinkasarinka BedsPosts: 261
    It looks lovely, well done! I especially love the pretty red dianthus.

Have not used bark, but wonder @Fairygirl , would it interfere with annuals self-sowing, and does it get in the way of bulbs coming up?
  • Wilson73Wilson73 Posts: 136
    sarinka said:
    It looks lovely, well done! I especially love the pretty red dianthus.

Have not used bark, but wonder @Fairygirl , would it interfere with annuals self-sowing, and does it get in the way of bulbs coming up?

Ahh thanks that's kind,my next project is my grass that borders that bed,it's shabby but should be looking nice by next year.
    Bulbs won't be affected at all. :)
    With annuals, some will self seed in and around the bark itself, but it would depend on the type of annual. Many like poor soil, so the conditions might be too rich in some borders,  and many are better sown in pots or trays, and then planted out when bigger. 

The only drawback of the bark will be that it can get thrown around by birds searching for insects etc under it, so you may need a small retaining edge to keep it in place, or just go out with a brush now and again  ;)