Forum home Problem solving

Planting a field maple in a small garden

FireFire LondonPosts: 7,373
The Wildlife Trust (UK) have given out some free trees. People in our community garden group have received field maple saplings. It seems like a pretty big tree (eg pic below) , not well suited to a small garden a five square metres. I advised probably not happy in a pot or anywhere near a house...  I would think more suited to a field boundary or very large garden. Would you say?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,207
    I've got them in our field boundary and i  think they're too big there
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,450
    edited July 2020
    They can grow into very big trees indeed ... good in parkland or field boundaries ... not for most gardens 😳
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,373
    Thanks. Just checking.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,515
    Could try your hand at bonsai.
    The person who received the tree is a newbie to gardening. WT shouldn't be sending out daft trees on a punt.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,531
    Acer campestre has been specified for the front garden planting on my estate by the arboriculturalist. The houses are set back less than 6m from the back of the pavement in most cases. They're a good hedging plant though so pruning to keep small is a viable option. I snuck in a rowan instead and I'm training it as more of a large bush than a tree. Other people have put on Japanese acers instead.
    WE, a lot of work to keep it down, though I would have thought. I have three beech trees as hedging (inherited) and it's a regular job to keep them in check in a tiny front garden. Leave them for six months and they would have swallowed the house. Not what you would call low maintenance. I'm sitting on a pyracantha, a holly tree and three beech trees all planted in a 2x3m space, trying to stop them becoming 20 ft tall.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    I have one, but it must have gone to the Good Behaviour Field Maple Finishing School. It’s no bother at all. I just lop chunks off it every now and then. It’s in a boundary hedge and it’s never got beyond about twelve feet tall and ten across. It’s got a lot of competition though; weigela, holly, pyracantha, lonicera nitida, laurel, guelder rose, mahonia, damson. It’s a case of do or die in there.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    @pansyface - is it an interesting tree? I can't image it "does" very much - unlike a crab apple, as a small garden tree...
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806
    It has one brief moment of glory in the spotlight. In autumn its little leaves turn the most beautiful shade of golden yellow followed by red. It’s otherwise just “a wee tree”. I like it. It’s small boned and quite dainty.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.