Forum home Plants

Sweet peas wilting and discoloured

r.samborar.sambora Posts: 2
Hello, my husband and I are novice lockdown gardeners in a flat and are trying to grow sweet peas in a large pot. They had spent a couple of months growing in a seed tray with Levington Seed & Cutting compost, where they became tall and entangled. Last week, I re-potted them in a couple of 10 inch wide pots and hardly disturbed the roots (there were so many clumped together, I just moved the seedling compost into the new soil). The new soil is Miracle Gro All Purpose Enriched Compost, and we've tied them to tall canes (though need to buy some more!). The windowsill which they have always been on is south-facing and has glorious beaming sunshine all day long. We water the plants daily, unless the soil still looks fairly damp on top. I also cut off some of the creepers lower down the plants after reading these can cause wonky stems.

This week, our leaves appear to be wilting and some of the leaves are becoming discoloured. 

Could you please let me know what we're doing wrong?

Thank you!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    They won't thrive indoors, or in such tiny pots, but they aren't sweet peas anyway. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• r.samborar.sambora Posts: 2
    Just to clarify, I mean the green ones on the left (from a sweet pea seed packet), not the cornflowers on the right!

And thanks for your comment.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    They don't look like sweet peas to me, unless it's the perennial one you're growing, not annuals?
    In any case, it won't thrive inside, I'm afraid. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....