Forum home Problem solving

Pond emptied over 1 day?

On Tuesday I saw pond had dropped to inches from the bottom. Can't see a leak, but I filled it up, and ordered a liner,intending to keep it topped up as needed until it arrived.
I havent topped it up since then, it hasn't dropped an inch, how is that possible. Am I best just replacing it anyway? Thank you Jeanette

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,599
    It's possible that something punctured the liner and then the crud in the pond had resealed the hole where it was leaking. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    How big is the pond and how deep?

Something may have been drinking it? How long had it been from seeing it full, to noticing it was nearly empty?
    If it was definitely very quickly, it's most likely the scenario @KT53 describes, in which case, you need repair or a new one  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It's the only conclusion I think, that or a rogue elephant drank it🐘. Seriously it emptied so quickly, I fed them Monday midday, now not a bit I think I will go with replacing, don't want it to happen again when I'm at work. It's only about 5x3 feet, prob 2.5 deep, netted to keep out cats etc. To be honest it was pretty clean, not a lot of silt to fill a hole. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,492
    Maybe your refilling folded over the liner in such a way it closed off the hole?  
    Utah, USA.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,599
    What is the liner made from?  A normal liner can be repaired quite easily IF you can find the point it is leaking from.
  • Was a fountain or filter letting water escape outside the pond area like mine did once?
  • On a very windy day it is amazing how much water can be lost if the spray is blown away from the pond surface!
  • It was quite old, so bit the bullet and new liner is in 🙂
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,492
    Congratulations!  You should share some pictures of your effort. 🙂
    Utah, USA.