Forum home Problem solving

Sickly standard Holly.

• Re Holly photos! Not sure what happened to the text box earlier, but anyway, I have these 2 holly's, and one is now very unhappy and is suddenly dropping leaves. They have both been treated the same in terms of watering and feeding. Both 2 years old. Before I rip out the nastirtiums below, does anyone have any thoughts what it could be? Thanks in advance....
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,984
    edited 31 July
    Are they both in containers or in the ground? Hollies can take a few years to establish so one not growing as fast as the other should not be a concern. They would prefer a semi shaded spot especially if grown in a container. They should be in a loam-based compost like John Innes No 3 with added grit if in a container. 

I suspect the paler looking one may be getting too much sun and not enough water. But cannot see too much wrong with it. Leaf drop without obvious issues normally point to water stress. Maybe move it somewhere shady for it to recover. 
  • Thank you Borderline, that seems to make a lot of sense to me. They are in pots in a very sunny spot at the moment and were only moved there a couple of months ago. I will give your suggestion a go!