Forum home Plants

What to do next with seedlings?

Hey folks! I've managed to germinate some seeds and cuttings in my makeshift greenhouse (its an old bathroom unit with glass shelves and covered with a sheet of polythene). This is all I have by way of greenhouse/cold frame.

I think they're ready to repot but I don't know where to keep them until they're ready to plant out next year. As you can see there's not much room where they are. I've got some acanthus mollis grown from seed, rose cuttings and at the back some hardy fuschia cuttings. Any suggestions? 

• strelitzia32strelitzia32 Posts: 368
    Right now with our current decent weather, you don't need to keep them wrapped up in there, repot them, pop them out in the garden (not in direct sun) and let them grow on for the next month or 2. Nothing to worry about until the cold nights and frosts start depending on where you are in the country?

You'll probably need to protect them over winter but unfortunately that's an all-or-nothing proposition - if your cold frame is the only protection you have (no conservatory etc?) Then they will need to go back in it.

Could you rig up some more protection with bamboo canes, the round cane joiner ball things and horticultural fleece?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,494
    All hardy plants, so if they're filling the pots you get them into by the time it's October or so, you can just keep them in there. Don't cosset them though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the advice folks. I've not had much luck with cuttings before as we live near Liverpool and the coast, and its always windy as hell round here.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,266
    You can put some bricks down in the bottom of a clear plastic tote and put them inside there in a bright but not direct sun place.. that way they get protection from the sides from the wind.. and you can keep a bit of water in the bottom below the brick level to help keep up the moisture.  I drill holes in the side of mine so the water can never go above that level.  Then you can just water and not worry about tipping excess out.
    Utah, USA.
  • Thanks Blue Onion. Great idea  :)