Forum home Plants

Clematis ID

LucidLucid Posts: 385
edited July 2020 in Plants
Hi everyone,

We've recently moved house and have the following clematis growing in a pot. I've tried to look up myself and the closest I can find seems to be Olympia but the petals don't look quite the same, as these ones are frayed on the edges where as the Olympia look nice and crisp. Does anyone happen to recognise it please? 

Thanks for any help,

Lucid :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,461
    It could be a Beauty of Worcester in its second flush which produces single flowers.  Given a generous feed next spring and plenty of watering in dry spells it should be fine.

http://clematisontheweb.org/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=80 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LucidLucid Posts: 385
    Thanks @Obelixx. That does look as though it could match up, despite it looking lighter, as we've been here for a few weeks and only saw the flowers as pictured, so would match up to an early second flush. We'll have to see if it starts with double flowers next year.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Flower colours change enormously as the flowers mature. They can look quite different between first appearing, and finishing, and the amount of sun also changes them   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited July 2020
    Thanks @Fairygirl - this one is in the shade as it's a North facing corner where there is tree ivy crowding over the top. It only gets the sun for a little bit later in the afternoon.

Feed it generously next spring, water in dry spells and see if you can lessen the load of the ivy.   Then it'll have the best chance to perform and you can have another crack at identifying it.

If it is Beauty of Worcester it's a group 2 which means a light prune to dead head and maintain size and spread after the first flush of flowers finishes in June.   Another feed then will help promote the second flush. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks @Obelixx. The ivy is an upcoming project for removal anyway so that should help it for the time being. I'm hoping by next Spring our extension works will have been carried out and we'll have quite a different garden - or at least the beginnings of one. Hopefully if we can keep this clematis going in a pot until then we can transplant it and have a nice clematis properly in the garden. It's been left in a pot in the shade in a place that's been empty for over a year and probably has had minimal watering and feeds, so I'm hopeful we can keep it going until next year. I'll keep a note of what you've said about pruning and feeding it.

Mostly watering, especially in a pot.  Good luck.