Forum home Fruit & veg

Broccolli growing!!

How do I look after Broccolli plants please??

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,527
    In a nutshell, plant them deep up to the lowest leaves, firm the soil well around the roots, net them against butterflies, never let them go short on water and you should be ok.  They need lots of nitrogen so incorporate that (eg fish, blood & bone fertilizer) into the soil  at planting time or give an occasional general purpose liquid feed.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • This is the Broccolli it looks a bit wild to me and cannot see flower heads , although it has now produced a tall yellow flower as if it has bolted??
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,037
    Yes.   You eat the flower head when it's green and compact.

Looks to me like they've been planted too close and probably not deep enough.  I would remove the yellow flower stalks along with some of the largest and more damaged leaves then give the plants a jolly good drink and some fertiliser.   Check the remaining foliage for caterpillars or the eggs and remove them.   If you can, net the plants to stop anymore being laid.

Keep the plants watered and check daily for flower stalks.  Pick as soon as ready.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw