Forum home Problem solving

Tree ID

2»

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,240
    The first photo looks like Clerodendrum Trichotomum. They can grow quite sizeable. 

The second photo could be a Cotoneaster Bullatus. They can grow to around 4 meters tall. Looks like an old plant that may need pruning back hard to rejuvenate. 
  • Did you read my last post Borderline?  I said that I'd pruned it last year, and got some growth, when we thought it was just about dead.  So a hard pruning is recommended?  I've seen some photos this morning, and C. Franchetti looked near.  But thx, I'll check out C. Bullatus ! 

Thanks for the ID on the first one.  

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,240
    Yes, I did read it, and I fear it does not look too good and will need a harder prune to start again. Could be Franchetti. There are many Cotoneasters, and quite difficult to tell sometimes. But worth pruning hard down to see if fresh branches will form from lower down.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,348
    Agree with @Borderline  c. Bullatus, just seen it in a book of mine, hope this comes out ok

• paulpuk2000paulpuk2000 Posts: 29
    edited July 2020
    Seems a shame to lose such a wonderful looking tree/shrub.  Perhaps I could just take a cutting, and start again?  I was looking to use a little hedge, on one side only, for the veg growing area (2 of the other 3 sides are a fence, a Wendy House, and am open stratch), so we had something nice to look at, instead of veg plants, which aren't particularly attractive?