Forum home Problem solving

Tree ID

Can anyone tell me what these trees are?  Recently moved into my mother's as a carer, and Im trying to identify the plants, and get more interested in gardening, in general.

• Went through a tree ID app, and it gives the second pic as an oak tree, but although it's still a young tree, it doesn't look anything like how I imagined an oak tree would be.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,822
    Neither of those is an oak tree. Wrong shape leaves and has what look like haws not acorns.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Just as I thought, though I was referring just to the second pic, Fidgetbones.  Obviously the app is not much good.  I'll delete it, and try another.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,515
    edited July 2020
    Are these trees or just large shrubs?
    A photo of the whole tree might help
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 338
    second picture looks like a Viburnum
  • These are trees, I think.  Well, I had just assumed that they were trees, as they both seemed to have one main trunk.  I'll take another couple of photos.  Thanks for the reply
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,168
    The first pic could be a Deutzia and the second one with the berries is one of the Cotoneasters.
    They make quite good small(ish!) trees and the bees love the flowers and the birds love the berries. You can cut them right back if they get too big and they will start again, but it is hard to achieve a pleasing look just by lopping off branches, as new ones always seem to grow at funny angles.
    Deutzias are easy going and pretty shrubs, with flowers in shades of pink or white.
  • I've taken 2 more photos, but now they are over the 6MB limit?  How does that happen?  Too much imagery/data?  I guess I'll try again, but a little nearer to the plants this time, to try to reduce that data?
  • paulpuk2000paulpuk2000 Posts: 29
    edited July 2020
    Tried taking a photo, later in the evening, and managed to massively reduce the image data, by enlarging my picture (before taking the photo) by using 2 digits, and sliding in opposite direction, away from each other.
  • paulpuk2000paulpuk2000 Posts: 29
    edited July 2020
    The first pic could be a Deutzia and the second one with the berries is one of the Cotoneasters.
    They make quite good small(ish!) trees and the bees love the flowers and the birds love the berries. You can cut them right back if they get too big and they will start again, but it is hard to achieve a pleasing look just by lopping off branches, as new ones always seem to grow at funny angles.
    Deutzias are easy going and pretty shrubs, with flowers in shades of pink or white.
    It might be Cotoneaster Franchetti.  To be honest, it's been what we thought was dead, but I pruned it last year, just for some shaping, and this year it's grown, and blossomed too, with these lovely pink /purple flowers.  I'm amazed to see that it can be used as hedge, because it was so sparse, but I think you might be right with that.  Oh, they're flowers, and not berries.  :-)  Checked up Deutzia, and not convinced.  I might have mistaken it for a tree, when it was actually a shrub, as Fidgetbones mentioned above?

Took 2 more pictures, from a distance.