Forum home Plants

Tall evergreen next to house?

ZoezoezoeZoezoezoe Posts: 7
Hi everyone, I hope you're all well.

I would like to plant an evergreen shrub or tree or hedge for privacy that will ideally grow at least 6ft high. The problem I have is that where I want to plant it will be up against my house and very close to a front window, so I would like it to be as thin as possible one way so it doesn't grow across the window, and obviously also safe to be planted right next to the house without damaging foundations with roots etc.

Any ideas please? Thank you.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I wouldn't if it was my house.  :)
    A climber on trellis would be better. Easier to keep right, and solves problems if you were to sell the house too. 

A photo of the area would help though. The icon that looks like a mountain is the one for adding a photo. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ZoezoezoeZoezoezoe Posts: 7
    Hi Fairygirl, you're absolutely right, my first thought was trellis and climbers but we can't have any fencing or trellis higher than 3 or 4ft (as it is the front garden and between semi-detached properties). So that's why I'm trying to think of something tall and evergreen  to do the screening for me and doesn't damage the house.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    What are you trying to screen yourself from?

Evergreens in the conifer family and so close to the house will rob you of light as well as nutrients in the soil for more attractive plants.   You could try growing something like photinia Red Robin as espaliers or escallonia which is evergreen in mild winters but they would need a framework in order to train them.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PianoplayerPianoplayer Posts: 217
    What about a large rectangular planter with bamboo in it? I am suggesting a planter so that you can control the bamboo and stop it spreading!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,215
    You can get small, slender conifers that would be happy in a pot if properly cared for.
    No risk to the house foundations and can be moved if need be.
    Or you could grow a clematis up a cane wigwam or other support.
    Or you could do both :)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    An obelisk with a climber would be better if you aren't allowed a fence of any kind. It's freestanding, so no problem. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ZoezoezoeZoezoezoe Posts: 7
    Hi Obelixx, Pianoplayer, Buttercupdays and Fairygirl, thank you for your replies.

We are very exposed out the front and so would like a bit of privacy across our front window and going to our front door.

After all of your advice I now agree that trying to plant something like a conifer or similar will be too aggressive for the position and could cause a lot of problems.

The pots and structure ideas are great suggestions, I think we will go with something like that. Thank you so much for your great advice  :)