Forum home Problem solving

New turf starting to yellow

Hi all,
I've recently just laid my first turf over ~36m2, having previously been slabs. I've used POA Supina turf, used pre-turfing fertiliser and for the first 2-3 weeks it was all going really well, growing lovely, bright green and rooting nicely.
Unfortunately it's now started to yellow, at the tips and also some full length of the shoots also, I've attached some pictures. I've had the mower on the highest setting it has, that photo is 24 hours after the most recent mow.
Any ideas what might be causing this? Is it just one of those things or do I need to take action?

• Stuart__Stuart__ Posts: 4
    p.s. thanks in advance for any advice :-) Forgot my manners!
  • Joy*Joy* Posts: 486

Hello Stuart. I only see one picture. If this is what it looks like now, you shouldn't worry. If it is rooting, keep it moist and you should be fine. Grass, like everything will have some dead leaves which will go yellow. Eventually you will need to rake it to get rid of the thatch. Your grass is predominately a lovely bright green and looks healthy. Hope this helps. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,613
    I cn only see one picture, too. Have you been watering it? Sorry if that's a daft question, but new turf needs regular water in summer.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Thanks for the responses 🙂 I'm probably worrying about nothing then hopefully, was just strange that it was 100% all green for the first weeks and then changed.
    I've attached a wider shot, so you can see it's overall green but mixed with yellow, but hopefully just natural growth cycle then.

I'm watering every other day at the moment, 30 minutes with a basic oscillating sprinkler, does that sound about right? (Turf is 4 weeks down currently) Was going to continue like that until 6 weeks down. Then see if once a week will do. thanks
    edited 30 July
    P.s. cutting twice a week as otherwise it seems to grow that fast I was cutting too much off even on the max setting the first couple of times when left longer
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,613
    It looks beautifully green to me, a perfect lawn.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • jocerisejocerise Posts: 1
    I also have new turf.I now mow it on a high setting of the blade  so I dnt cut too much down
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,060
    Personally I can see nothing wrong with your lawn!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,245
    I’m green with envy ... I’m much greener than my lawn is at this time of year 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh