Forum home Plants

What type of magnolia is this? Photo included

I'm trying to work out how to care for it! 

I'm really surprised to see that it has started flowering again! Though I'm not sure if it's supposed to bloom all summer??

Thanks in advance! 😁

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    Maybe I'm missing something here or suffering from a severe case of astigmatism , but I really cannot see any flowers ??
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,945
    I think there's one at 3 o'clock
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Haha! Oh sorry - so this is the only photo I have from back in May. It did flower in Spring, then I noticed one flower about to bloom again now. 

So I'm wondering if that is usual for it to flower in Spring and late summer only? I don't know what type it is so it's hard to find out about it
    Thought they were new leaves emerging .
    I grow a large Magnolia liliiflora 'Jane' ; this flowers profusely in May , then again sporadically in late-summer .
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,790
    Many Magnolia can have a few flowers in summer.
    Impossible to id .
    Wait for spring when in full flower and add clear pics to this post for help with a name.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,189
    Leicester City used to have a winger with the nickname Magnolia - magnificent for two weeks but did nothing for the rest of the season.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 601
    Paul B3 said:
    I grow a large Magnolia liliiflora 'Jane' ; this flowers profusely in May , then again sporadically in late-summer .
    Good choice. Did you know she's named after a secretary/lady in the typing pool at the National Arboretum, USA, as are all the others in this series of crosses, all with slightly different features? Most of these "girls" can be seen as a group in the Savill Garden, Windsor Great Park, on the path from the New Zealand garden to the Temperate House The following extract is from the Missouri Botanic Garden's page. 
    ‘Jane’ is a cross between M. liliiflora ‘Nigra’ and M. stellata ‘Rosea’. It is part of the Little Girl Series (‘Ann’, ‘Betty’, ‘Jane’, ‘Judy’, ‘Pinkie’, ‘Randy’, ‘Ricki’ and ‘Susan’) of hybrid magnolias that were developed at the National Arboretum in the mid-1950s by Francis DeVos and William Kosar. 
  • Hello! As promised here are some photos of the plant flowering 🤩

Perhaps these photos will help to identify the type of magnolia it is?

Should I be watering /feeding it?

• As others have said difficult to identify but could be one of the magnolias soulangeana. Your tree looks very healthy. It shouldn't need watering/feeding.
    Ours flowered again this summer.