Forum home Plants

Anyone know what this is?

g_2004_n1g_2004_n1 Posts: 3
This plant was growing between old slabs at the bottom of my garden. Hoping to keep it going. Anyone know what it is? 

• HalleSHalleS WiltshirePosts: 102
    It looks to me like a snap dragon, Antirrhinum. I could be wrong though!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 1,731
    Possibly a penstemon maybe garnet
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,945
    I think it looks me like a penstemon too. Whatever it is, it needs to go in the ground, have a good feed and plenty to drink😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • g_2004_n1g_2004_n1 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. Having searched from all your advice I reckon it's very much like antirrhinum 'black prince'. It was growing on a bed of sand between some mortar in old slabs. Definitely able to grow in the most difficult conditions anyway. Potted up, fed and watered now hopefully get some life back in to it. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    My vote is for antirrhinum.  You won't get much life into it now, @g_2004_n1, because it's an annual and has dropped half its flowers.  If you leave the seed pods on the plant until they are dry and brown, you'll see little holes open on the tip of them and you can empty out the seed.  You can sow them straight away or keep them until the spring.  The flowers won't necessarily be the same colour, because they could have been pollinated by another plant of a different colour.  They sometimes survive over winter and flower for a second year.  If you want to try this, cut off most of the plant when it's finished flowering, leaving a stump about 2-3" tall, and keep it in a sheltered spot.  
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,945
    I change my vote to antirrhinum. Penstemon don't grow out of slabs
    In London. Keen but lazy.