Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

I've had this stuff growing in my garden for a few years now. It grows really well and is actually a nice looking plant so I'm ok with it being quite vigorous. In fact each spring I dig up chunks and use it to fill gaps all over the garden. Never even need to water it. Anyone know what it is? It grows about 3ft tall and spreads through shoots that are just below the surface. I guess it's technically a 'weed' but it's a welcome one. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,215
    Lysimachia punctata - yellow loosestrife.
    Beware. It is an out and out thug. The gaps of garden between the yellow loosestrife will get smaller and smaller!
    It is on my exterminate list.
  • Thank you. I can imagine it could be a handful. I tend to be quite 'on it' with my regular checks around the garden so hopefully I'll be able to continue to keep it in check. I presume as long as I pull out the bits where I don't want them, which I do a few times a year, it'll be ok?? As long as it's not like the bloomin' ground elder I have in one corner of the garden that never ceases to pop up at random. At least this stuff seems easy to pull out in one piece. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,215
    Make sure you get every bit of root, but it doesn't spread by seed as much as ground elder. It is insidious though. I hadn't realised just how much larger all the clumps had grown, until I took a wide view of my garden one day, and saw that nearly a sixth of the visible flowers seemed to be YL!
    I have both and I know I will never be free of GE, as I have a large country garden and it was already well established before we moved in. It does look lovely when it flowers though and this year I have removed all the flower heads before they could set seed. Now I can at least pick my battlefront :)
  • I've never even let ground elder flower even though I hear it's lovely. I'm too scared I'll end up with it in all four corners rather than just the one! 

Thank you again for your help. I'll be extra careful with it. 
  • We brought some from our old house and planted it next to the front gate post. It's only spread about 6' in 30 years. Clay soil, semi shade.
  • Yeah I think I'll be able to keep on top of it. I'll limit it to just a few places though. I tend to put it in the parts that are bone dry and I don't want to have to water too much. Just a shame it tends to flop a bit after a while. I've taken to putting a loop of twine around sections. That seems to work.