Forum home The potting shed

Garden features/preferences advice

2»

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,539
    Big trees have many, many leaves which means a lot of work in the autumn but are also great for leaf mould. Their roots can extend right across the garden which can suck all the moisture out.

Bungalows are often cheaper, are usually detached and usually have bigger gardens.
    My must-have are views, couldn't live anywhere all hemmed in with other houses. We bought this house because of the location,  wonderful views and big south facing garden. Houses can be changed (at a price) but location can't. We can easily walk to the bus-stop, shops, dentist, GP and local hospital. It's ten miles to the nearest motorway, so easy access to the rest of the country. (I sound like an estate agent, don't I!) The house was pretty awful and needed total renovation so was (relatively) cheaper.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,541
    I could never give up: privacy, peace and quiet and lots of easy offroad parking
    Devon.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,538
    Yappy dogs.  Next door is a rental (another thing to avoid) and the newest tenets have a Pomeranian THAT DOES NOT STOP BARKING.  For hours on end.  I find myself out gardening with my teeth clenched and my shoulders tensed up.  I keep hoping for them to loose their jobs and move off somewhere else.. but it's been nine months now.  When we bought the house eight years ago everyone owned their homes in the street.. but a few have had to leave due to economic downturn over the years and can't sell, so rent.. and the lovely elderly lady across the road moved into a rest home a two years ago.  Tenets aren't bad people.. but they let the yard go to weeds or seem a bit less considerate to neighbors (loud trucks honking outside at night, yappying-for-hours dogs, etc).   The ones around here stay for half a year and then move on it seems.  

So yeah, no yard dogs.. can't enjoy your garden.  At least they let the screaming children inside occasionally.
    Utah, USA.
  • sarinkasarinka Posts: 268
    edited July 2020
    I really love birds, so I would ideally like at least one large, established tree for them, to hanger feeders from and possibly for them to nest in.

I'd like the space/ability to add a pond.

I would not be deterred by nettles/brambles/convulvulus and so on (the garden I am now tackling has all of these and more) but obviously it would be nice to start without all these marauding through everywhere. 

Oh and south-facing is very important if you can get it. Almost all the plants I love require lots of sun.