Forum home Fruit & veg

bitter cucumbers...

I have grown cucumbers Passandra, gherkin and Bedfordshire  prize from seed. I have grown them up bamboo canes in a row but have just read that cross pollination can cause bitterness. I used some of the cucumbers in a salad recently and there was definitely something unpleasantly bitter tasting!
As these are healthy plants and it's late in the season, I am thinking I could dig up the plants, all bar one variety, and replant the other two separately to avoid any further cross pollination. I would cut off and taste any cucumber, and if bitter pop them in the compost.
Would you advise this and if not, what would you suggest?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,266
    I had this problem several years ago and just removed all formed fruit, upped the watering considerably, and that sorted the issue.  I grow a mix in every hill, so get tons of cross pollination from whatever three or four varieties I choose each year.. but haven't had the issue since.  

Transplanting will really set them back and most likely cause bitter fruit itself.  

Look up each type.. I just looked up Passandra and it said all male flowers should be removed to avoid bitterness.   Maybe that is the issue?  https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/cucumber/cucumber/cucumber-passandra-f1-0176
    Utah, USA.
  • sthlndngrowersthlndngrower Posts: 140
    Thankyou!
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 816
    Passandra F1 is an all female type of cucumber, I am growing it this year.
  • sthlndngrowersthlndngrower Posts: 140
    thank you