Forum home Plants

Growing biennials late

I've forgotten all about my biennial seeds for next year! Of course, I would normally sow them in May time for flowering the following year, but do you think I could get away with sowing them now, and when it begins to get a bit colder, bringing them inside to a warm bay window to make up for the lost time? I hope so, I will miss my hollyhocks!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513
    Not much to lose by trying but I would suggest a cold frame outside come October or November rather than a warm bay window.   Too hot and dry form central heating.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Good point! Though I do try and keep the central heating off and wear a jumper next to a fire instead 🤣 Thanks, I'll give it a go!
  • sarinkasarinka Posts: 269
    edited July 2020
    It's still July. I did a third sowing of hollyhocks about two weeks ago. I don't think it's too late. I just sowed some honesty and sweet Williams yesterday. And there are lots of biennials for August/September sowing, too, of course- cornflowers, sweet peas, alyssum, larkspur, calendula, foxgloves, love in the mist, forget me nots..

PS if you have hollyhocks already they will probably self seed, right?:) the seedlings are pretty distinctive
  • They have self seeded every year but this year I don't seem to have anything coming up 😔 I'll give it a bash and plant some anyway! Even if I get a few healthy ones I'll be happy. Managed to find some black flower seeds, so that'll be different... Give the garden a gothic feel 🤣