Forum home Plants

Newbie help again! Lavender this time

Hello everyone and sorry for my lack of knowledge. We recently bought a lavender plant (shown in the photo)

It flowered nicely and now looks like the flowers are fading. Am i meant to deadhead the flowers to promote new growth or leave it be?

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks,

Ed

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 601
    Looks like you have a stoechas type lavender. Yes, you can cut back after flowering, removing the flower stalk and some of the top growth (leaves) too. This helps prevent the plant becoming straggly. Ensure that when you do cut into the more woody parts there are still leaves below where you trim. At its current size a 2-3" overall trim should be fine.
  • This was the label to help identify the type. So can I cut it back now? Should I expect any more flowers this season?

Many thanks,

Ed
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,215
    It's  Lavender stoechas or French lavender as Rachel said, and it is not 100% hardy.
    If you are in a cold area it will need a heavy mulch and some sort of frost protection, maybe even taking inside in the winter. If you live somewhere milder you should get away with just the mulch to protect the roots.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,240
    You can prune back spent flower stems, and you may get a second flush, but they don't generally re-flower if you cut any later into August. I would say they are reasonably hardy, but resent excess rain in the winter time, so best to keep in a pot so you can control winter wet weather.
  • Thanks guys and gals.