Forum home The potting shed

2019-2020's garden mistakes

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 2,648
I find at this time of year any mistakes I made in the last planting season are really smacking me in the face. The two main ones are the Deschampsia cespitosa I planted, which haven't got enough space and are too big,  and the way I planted little clumps of purple Sedum between ornamental grasses. It looks horrible. I'm not sure I like that Sedum but I might give it one more chance planted in a bigger clump by itself. 

What good ideas you had last year have fallen flat? 

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 881
    edited 27 July
    Hello @Loxley . We planted 3 Carex Bronze grasses near to one another. They now form one huge clump and their natural cascading nature/ habit means that every time I walk  past them, I trip over their long stems. They are flopping all over the place. No second chances here, they will be separated later on in the year!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,250
    My mistake was to save seed potatoes from last year's crop.  A lot of this year's came up scabby.  In future I'll buy my seed potatoes.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,680
     cespitosa - another plant with an unfortunate name.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Erysmum Bowles Mauve. I've gone right off them.
  • DevonianDevonian Posts: 111
    Loxley said:
    I find at this time of year any mistakes I made in the last planting season are really smacking me in the face. The two main ones are the Deschampsia cespitosa I planted, which haven't got enough space and are too big,  and the way I planted little clumps of purple Sedum between ornamental grasses. It looks horrible. I'm not sure I like that Sedum but I might give it one more chance planted in a bigger clump by itself. 

What good ideas you had last year have fallen flat? 
    @Loxley do you have any photos of the Deschampsia? I planted some this year (the Goldschleier variety but it wouldn't be too late to move them if I planted them too close!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,503
    I want to see pictures of these mistakes
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 868
    B3 said:
    Erysmum Bowles Mauve. I've gone right off them.
    I sort of have, in that I don’t like the look of them once the flower spikes have gone all straggly. But I can’t bring myself to remove them as they’re so attractive to the bees and butterflies and they flower for such a long time
    Bees like other things too😊
    I don't mind the foliage, but I've decided I don't like the lilac flowers at all. Also, they outgrow their space too quickly and then you have to replace them with your cuttings which are too small. I prefer lavender so I think I'll replace them with that.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 338
    Planting pink and white lavender. Lovely when fully in bloom but I find they look dull and just too grey when in bud so feels a much shorter season than the usual purple.

It doesn’t help that there in a tricky spot. Very dry bed which gets full sun just at the hottest part of the day but in shade before and after so too much for some but not enough for others 🙄
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero