Forum home Wildlife gardening

Which of these???

Hi all,

I am currently deciding which plants to put in my wall as it has non-native plants in, so I developed a list. I am doing it only wildflowers and they are going to be in a wall about 20ft long with both ends shaded but the centre in full sun.. It has a depression in the centre and about 2-3 inches of soil.
Which of the following plants would you recommend?

Common Dog Violet
Ivy-Leaved Toadflax
Common Fumitory
Biting Stonecrop
English Stonecrop
Common Birds Foot Trefoil
Wood Sorrel
Trailing St Johns Wort
Sweet Violet
Scarlet Pimpernel
Yellow Pimpernel
Coltsfoot.

Thanks in advance.
Grow wildflowers in your garden

• B3B3 Posts: 21,486
    The toadflax would grow in a bit of dust trails or climbs  , seeds all over the place and is easy to pull out if you don't want it. Scarlet pimpernel seeds too and is also easy to pull out.Dog violet, I like but some see it as a lawn weed. I don't know about the others. Valerian will grow out of a wall too
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • edev08edev08 Posts: 56
    Many thanks @B3 If no one else puts in a reply I shall check out the rest of them.

Cheers,

Edward
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,486
    I'm sure someone else will spot your thread soon😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,000
    Dog violet grows in the cracks of my flagstone terrace, makes neat little clumps of dark leaves and doesn't mind sun or shade, the stone crops would do well in the sunny part and might colonise the sides of the wall too. Wood sorrel likes to wander about in dappled shade, but I;m npt sure if it would be happy.
    Not colt's foot, it has large leaves and running rhizomes. Its flowers are cheery in early spring, but it only grows in cool, damp places in my garden and would be out of scale with your other plants.
    Thanks a lot @Buttercupdays great help as usual. Any idea on the Fumitory, Trailing St Johns Wort, C. Birds Foot Trefoil, Sweet Violet or Y. Pimpernel?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,442
    Fumitory will grow almost anywhere in my garden, in soil or gravel.  It seeds all over the place, though, so if you do grow it in your wall it may well decide to hop into your flower beds as well.   :)  It's a beautiful plant though, IMO, so I don't always weed it out, though it's easy to pull up if you need to.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,000
    The majority of my wildflowers are those which are here by their own choice. 
    I don't have St John's wort, sweet violets or pimpernels, or not yet anyway.
    Fumitory pops up occasionally on one of my borders and I always leave it, but I can't say it's well established and I don't know it's preferences. As it spreads by random seeding there is a chance it would grow for you but not sure if it would make a permanent feature.
    This year I have seen a little yellow flower in one of my less frequently mown sections,  that might be the trefoil, but haven't made an attempt at a definite ID yet. I do already have a small yellow flowering vetch in the wildflower patch near the pond. That and the purple one both appeared from nowhere.
    I've had foxgloves seed in my drystone walls, but that may not be the look you are after! Once you create the right habitat there is always the possibility of surprises :)

Many thanks both, this is a fantastic tool to use [The Forum] and I really find everyone so helpful on here. I am glad to know Fumitory is good. 

Many Thanks
    Edward